Free Flash Guestbook

Flash-Guestbook.com

The totally and perfectly wonderful Flash Guestbook for Your Website!
Online since June 10th 2006
Home Flash Guestbook Demo Register FAQs Forum What's New? Tell a Friend Contact Us
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Flash-Guestbook version 1 » Help & Support

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: W3C validation
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:25 pm 
Flash-Guestbook Member

Hello,

The html code associated to the guestbook is small and I care displaying it.

But this code makes the site lose the W3C validation because of the target="_blank" element (which is useless) and other warnings I could detail if you want.

Moreover it is impossible to customize a bit the link as it is forbidden to add a css "class".

Why not embedding the link into the .swf file at the bottom ?
This way you'll be sure it is displayed and the webmaster will not have problems.

Regards,

MA

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Ma,

I do not know what software you are using for HTML validation, but the target="_blank" tag is valid HTML.

You can check all of our Demo guestbook pages by following the link below to start with...

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flash-guestbook.com%2Fguestbook%2Fguestbook-basiclight.php&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline

As for the errors that do show up while validating our demo pages, you will find one for stating a table height, 6 for the encrypted data within the embed code, and 2 more for stating an alignment of "left bottom".

Also...if you think that is terrible...please have a look at the validation results for Yahoo.com...how about 41 errors, ranging from not stating the document type, all the way down to undefined spacers (multiple times)...by following the link below...

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yahoo.com&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline

Other than that, the link is customizable, we even have a post in this forum regarding customizing the link text beneath the guestbook...without adding a class to the link itself. For more information please view the following post...

http://www.flash-guestbook.com/forum/viewtopic.9.html

At any rate, the 6 errors within the embed code we provide is not all that bad, and is not going to harm your search engines placement at all for the main reason being that there isn't any information there for the search engine robots to index, and there isn't much we can do about it anyway. The encrypted data is necessary for the functioning of the guestbook and can not be done otherwise. If this is a big problem for you, maybe our guestbook isn't for you, but I can almost guarantee you that any other guestbook application will return more than 6 HTML validation errors.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:48 pm 
Flash-Guestbook Member

Hello,

Strict valdiation
I simply use the W3C validator, but in strict (XHTML 1.0 and XHTML 1.1) format :)

"Also...if you think that is terrible..."
Absolutly not ! Especially for a "personal page about photos".
That's not what I wanted to be understood.
The fact is that I'll have to do HTML 4.01 Transitional even if I don't want to and make efforts to validate a higher state so as to be more accessible. See further.

"If this is a big problem for you, maybe our guestbook isn't for you"
Ho...misunderstanding...
What about "What is interesting needs improvements" ?
Do you really think I could write here if you guestbook wasn't good and interesting ? No.
I really appreciate the fact that you answer quickly and discuss freely, hope you think so.
My message should have been posted in another topic than "help", maybe "discussion" or maybe on a mail.

Customization
I must say I just tried to add a class and it didn't work because of the edit restriction (what I easily understand and respect) ; I thought about a div solution involving cascading property, something like this :
#myid A {
style....
}
but the anti-target="_blank" argument appeared to me more important.

I can try to briefly expose here my point of view (which is also other webmasters one) :
target="_blank" is "intrusive" because the visitor has no choice : it opens a new window, it disrupts the flow in the historical context of the browser and modify the understanding of the user.
There's a lot of discussions within CSS boards and experts (try to imagine I can have others websites, accessibility for example), I'm not sure it's the good place to debate.

You did not answer my suggestion to embed the link IN the guestbook, maybe it's because of the verification done with the line ?

Anyway your work is really good.
Believe me, I did not found a better one in flash.

Truthfully,
MA

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:55 pm 
Flash-Guestbook Member

Hi Ma,

We have chosen to add the target="_blank" because we believe it to be more user-friendly. We didn't want Flash-Guestbook members, so people like yourself, to have to lose any visitors just because they click on our link. This way, even if someone clicks on our link, the original site is still open as well, and they are bound to return to it.
I hope that clarifies that aspect.
Most webmasters or site owners simply prefer to keep their visitors. It's a simply logic, and we didn't want anyone being ticked off at the thought of losing them because of our external link.

As for customizing the look of the bottom link, it is easier to add a DIV around it rather than adding a style for all your links.
You can have <div class="something">The entire Flash Guestbook embed code goes here</div> and define the name of the class in your style sheet and that will take care of that as well.

I hope this helps. :wink:

Ani

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:10 am 
Flash-Guestbook Member

Dear Ani,

Thank you for your answer, it helps.

Although I don't agree with the fact that I "lose" visitors, I understand why you chose to put the target element so as to keep the initial site active.
I'll deal with it.

The div solution works perfectly, it allows me to define colors and other things for the link.

Regards,

MA

MA

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Flash-Guestbook version 1 » Help & Support