Free Flash Guestbook

Flash-Guestbook.com

The totally and perfectly wonderful Flash Guestbook for Your Website!
Online since June 10th 2006
Home Flash Guestbook Demo Register FAQs Forum What's New? Tell a Friend Contact Us
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Flash-Guestbook version 1 » Help & Support

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: ZIP FILE
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:00 pm 
Flash-Guestbook Member

What do I do with the zip download? I have downloaded it and it is in Win Zip. I am supposed to put it in the same directory as the html. How do I do that? I apologize for my ignorance.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Poochee,

It would be better for me to help you if to upload the "flash_guestbbook.swf" and insert the embed code into your page if you could tell me how you normally work on the pages of your website.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:41 pm 
Flash-Guestbook Member

Hi Ryan,
I have Windows XP, home version. I use Web Page Maker to work on my site. I have not published any pages yet. I copy the html onto my page, as html (I have to insert it into a box) When I preview it in a browser, it still looks the same, as html. When I download the other part, the zip file, I don't know what to do with it. I do not know html.
Elaine

Post subject: Web Page Maker software problems
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:15 am 
Site Admin

Since you use Windows XP, all you need to do is double click the zip file. When you do, it will open a new window showing you the contents of the zip file. To the left, you will see a link that says "Extract all files". Click the link and a new window will open that will walk you through the process of extracting the files.

Yes, the "flash_guestbook.swf" (the file that was inside the zip file) should be located within the same directory as the page that will be displaying it.

Here's the problem I noticed with the software you use for your webpages...

When "publishing" your site to your web space it doesn't give you the possibility to upload individual files that are not connected in some way to the pages through their software. Meaning, if you do an insert of a Flash object, the software uploads the "flash_guestbook.swfW, but it also inserts the "standard" Flash embed code...not the embed code Flash-Guestbook provides, but the software will upload the "flash_guestbook.swf". The bad side of doing it this way is that the "flash_guestbook.swf" is located in a "files" directory, because of that...Plus!...the use of the "standard" Flash embed code instead of the embed code Flash-Guestbook provides you with, your guestbook will not work. You must use the embed code we provide for the following reasons:

1. Our embed code contains encrypted information the the guestbook sends to our server when it is accessed in a browser and then our server checkes to make sure that code is on the page you stated within your admin panel as the "Guestbook Location". If the encrypted information is not there (because of the standard embed code) the server will reject the request from your guestbook, because the information sent is empty.

2. Even if you were able to add the encrypted information and it would work as far as proceeding to the next step of validating a guestbook's request for the desing and entries, it would be rejected because our server would not be able to find our embed code on your page.

So, we tried to find another way to do it, we thought to insert a "HTML code, Script Code" object in order to add the Flash-Guestbook provided embed code, and that works without a problem. Except, it doesn't upload the "flash_guestbook.swf" file, and if you use any of the methods we found to upload the "flash_guestbook.swf" using the Web Page Maker software, it automatically sticks it in a "files" directory. Which is not good because in the Flash-Guestbook provided embed code, the "flash_guestbook.swf" must be located in the same directory. If it isn't then the guestbook will never load because it is in the wrong place.

So, unless you know how to upload the flash_guestbook.swf file to the same directory as the page that will be displaying it using the Web Page Maker software, we suggest you download a FTP software, that will allow you to upload individual files anywhere within your web space.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:01 pm 
Flash-Guestbook Member

Thank you for your input. I have downloaded Filezilla. Can you direct me as to how that may help, if it can?
Thanks once again.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Elaine,

When you open Filezilla, click on the menu "File", then "Site Manager". The window that opens will contain a list of all the servers you have stored with which you will make connections. At this point the list is empty. So, click on the button below the list that says "New Site".

When you click on the "New Site" button it will add and object to the list and there you can name the connection whatever you would like. Then in the form to the right of the list, we will start with the "Host" field.

In the "Host" field you should enter your domain, for example:
flash-guestbook.com

Next we move to the "Logontype" section, by default "anonymous" is selected, but we want to select "normal".

Once you select "normal", the "username" and "password" fields become empty and editible. You should enter the same username and password here as you entered in your "Web Page Maker" software in order to "Publish" your site.

Once you have finished entering that information, click the "Save and Exit" button. The window will close automatically, so after it does, reopen it.

This time click on the entry in the list of connections you just made, and then at the bottom of the window, click the "Connect" button.

Now you will see a bunch of text scrolling in the upper frame of the main window, and then some files and folders will appear in the right frame of the main window.

You are now connected to your site through FTP. In the left frame is your computer, you can browse your computer to find the "flash_guestbook.swf" file, and you can browse the same way your web space to the place where your guestbook page is located.

Now, in the menu at the top of the window, click on "Transfer", and then mouse over "Transfer Type", and then click on "Binary". Why you want "Binary" instead of "Auto" is because most files can be uploaded in Binary mode without a problem, the only reason you would need to get into ASCII mode is for programming scripts and flat file databases...so you probably won't need the ASCII setting. Plus, most FTP software winds up corrupting flash SWF's when uploading in Auto mode because for some reason they upload it in ASCII, so we are just going to avoid those problems all together.

Now, click and drag the "flash_guestbook.swf" from the left frame to the right frame. You will see some more scrolling text and the right frame will flash a few times and then you will find that the "flash_guestbook.swf" has been uploaded.

So, the SWF is now uploaded in the right spot, you can now insert the embed code into your page using the "Web Page Maker" software by inserting a "HTML code, Script Code" and pasting the embed code there then republishing the pages.

Let us know if you have any problems.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:42 pm 
Flash-Guestbook Member

I think I am on the right track. When I view my page in my browser I see the Free Flash Guest book notation. I then extracted the swf file. I went to
Filezlla and did as you instructed. The file is now on the right side as it should be. I notice there is another guestbook.doc on the left. Should I drag that over,too? I am not quite sure what you mean my inserting the code on my page. I think you mean the swf file. I will continue working with it and see if I can figure it out. I will let you know if I am successful.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Elaine,

The embed code I am referring to is located in you Flash-Guestbook admin panel to the left of the link where you downloaded the "flash_guestbook.zip" file. It is a bunch of text that starts with <object ....

This code is what displays the "flash_guestbook.swf" in the page when you visit that page in a browser.

You can use the "Web Page Maker" software to insert the embed code into your page, by goign to "Insert Object", then clicking on "HTML code, Script Code". That will create a text box with which you can paste the embed code into. Once you have, publish the page to your site, and then visit it in your browser.

All should be good and functioning...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:03 am 
Flash-Guestbook Member

I have done that and that's how I get the Flash
guest book when I view it in the browser. But the swf file that is the zip file is what confuses me. How do I get that on my page?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:02 am 
Site Admin

Dear Elaine,

I have sent you an email and attached to the e-mail is a file called "guestbook.html". Simply upload the file to the same folder on your website that the "flash_guestbook.swf" is located. Then go to your Flash-Guestbook admin panel and enter the following URL as your "Guestbook Location"...

http://www.hugsfromheaven.com/guestbook.html

That should do it, then go to the above URL in your browser and you should see your guestbook there.

Editing this page should be possible in the "Web Page Maker" software. You can also simply open the file in "Note Pad" and visually see how you get the guestbook to appear in your page. It is the "embed code" which is also provided to you in your admin panel.

Just to the left of the button you clicked to download the "flash_guestbook.zip" file is a text box which contains your embed code. This embed code is what I was explaining to paste in the "HTML code, Script Code" box. Then once you publish the page to your website, and load it in your browser the guestbook will display within the page. It is the same with images. When you create a page and put an image in the page, it is actually a line of HTML code which calls for that image and displays it within a certain spot on the page.

Once you have opened the zip file and retreived the SWF from it, the zip file is no longer important, you can delete it from your computer. If you ever need it again, you can simply download it again from your admin panel. The only reason it is zipped, is because it makes it simple to download from our site. If we would have just put the SWF file there and provided a link to it, it would open in the browser window just as it does when you go to:
http://www.hugsfromheaven.com/flash_guestbook.swf

That would just make it more difficult for people to figure out how to save it to their computer so they can upload it to their site.

I hope this had made sense and not been too confusing...however, there are simple instructions in the e-mail I sent.

Let us know if all turns out ok or not.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » Flash-Guestbook version 1 » Help & Support